Get the facts about child abuse and exploited children.
Child abuse is a heartbreaking reality for many children living in poverty, and it comes in many forms … physical, sexual, spiritual and emotional. Child abuse includes neglect, exploitation and child labor. Whatever the form, these facts about child abuse describe an urgent and growing need. Millions of children around the world are suffering and need someone to speak up on their behalf.
- Every year, between 500 million and 1.5 billion children worldwide endure some form of violence. 1
- One in five women and one in 13 men report having been sexually abused as a child. 2
- Estimates of child maltreatment indicate that nearly a quarter of adults (22.6 percent) worldwide suffered physical abuse as a child, 36.3 percent experienced emotional abuse and 16.3 percent experienced physical neglect. 3
- National surveys of violence against children conducted in Africa reveal much higher rates of childhood physical, sexual and emotional abuse than the global rates. 3
- Every 10 minutes, somewhere in the world, an adolescent girl dies as a result of violence. 4
Concern for children is the cornerstone upon which Compassion International has been built. We are opposed to all forms of abuse and exploitation and will do everything within our power to ensure that no harm comes to any child registered in our program due to his or her involvement in the ministry of Compassion International.
Sponsor a child.
- Children with disabilities are: 3.7 times more likely than non-disabled children to be victims of any sort of violence; 3.6 times more likely to be victims of physical violence; and 2.9 times more likely to be victims of sexual violence. 1
- Children suffering from mental illness or intellectual impairments have 4.6 times the risk of sexual violence compared with non-disabled peers. 1
- More than 90 percent of countries have legislation criminalizing human trafficking. 5
- 33 percent of detected victims of human trafficking are children. 5
- Between 2010 and 2012, some 40 percent of countries reported less than 10 human trafficking convictions per year. 5
- Some 72 percent of convicted human traffickers are men, and 28 percent are women. 5
- Every year, there are an estimated 41,000 homicide deaths in children under 15 years of age. 2
- The annual cost of child maltreatment in the United States is an estimated US$ 124 billion. 1