In addition to the specific situations discussed above, we may disclose any of the categories of information listed above in the following situations:
- Affiliates. We share information with Compassion affiliates (e.g., international Compassion entities).
- Other Disclosures with Your Consent. We may disclose your information with third parties when we have your consent or direction to do so.
- Other Disclosures without Your Consent. We disclose information in response to subpoenas, warrants, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process, or to comply with relevant laws. We may also share your information in order to establish or exercise our rights, to defend against a legal claim, to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, or a violation of our policies, or to comply with your request for the shipment of products by or the provision of services by a third-party intermediary.
- Public. Some of our websites provide the opportunity to post comments, or reviews, in a public forum. If you decide to submit information on these pages, that information may be publicly available.
- Partners We may engage in partnerships and joint ventures with third party organizations. In order to accomplish the purposes described in our use and processing of information that are in our legitimate interest, we may share your personal information with these organizations.
Back to the top >
Cookies and Similar Technology
A cookie is a series of data characters that, when programmed into a website, is placed by the web server into the browser's application folder on your computer. Once placed onto your machine, the cookie will allow the website to "recognize" you as a unique individual. Cookies do not collect data from the end user's device.
Cookies are used to determine the success of Compassion's website and marketing campaigns. This allows us to be good stewards with the donations that are given to us to determine our online effectiveness, which also helps keep our expenses low.
Cookies can be removed from your device. Also, depending on what type of web browser and what browser version you are using, you may be able to change the properties on your cookie file so that cookies are not used or saved. Please check with your browser provider for more information on removing cookies.
In addition to cookies, we use other technologies, including pixel tags, to gather information on how visitors interact with our website and to help us efficiently monitor our website and marketing campaigns. These technologies, for example, show us popular pages, conversion rates, click-throughs and other information that can be used to improve our website. We also occasionally share select non-personal information with trusted third parties. Compassion and its third-party vendors use pixel tags to track and analyze non-personally-identifiable usage information to compile statistical traffic analysis or usage patterns. Third-party cookies may also be used to inform, optimize and serve Compassion ads on other websites based on your visits to Compassion websites.
We collect information on the pages you have visited on our Website and the contents of those pages, any information you input, your referring URL or IP address, your time of visit and related session information, your requested page, displayed and modified html, Web browser type, user agent, status of request (successful reply), cookies, browser timings, additional API/AJAX requests and responses, query string, mouse movements, page scrolls, clicks, device orientation when applicable, screen size, window size, selections, data entered, and information below. We may associate user identifiable information with the data collected so that we may better improve your experience. We also use this data to better understand Web site usage in the aggregate so that we know what areas of our Web site users prefer or we can improve. This information is stored and can be used for session replay as well as statistical reporting.
Back to the top >
Your Rights and Choices
Compassion provides all rights to your information that are required by law. In any case, Compassion will consider all requests from individuals regarding their personal information. These requests may include:
- Access to Your Personal Information. You may request access to your personal information or confirmation that we have information about you by contacting us at the address described below. In certain limited circumstances, you may also request to receive access to your data in a portable, machine-readable format. If required by law, upon request, we will grant you reasonable access to the personal information that we have about you.
- Changes to Your Personal Information. We rely on you to update and correct your personal information. Our website allows you to modify your account profile. You may also contact us at the address described below in order to request that your information be modified. Note that we keep historical information in our backup files as permitted by law.
- Deletion of Your Personal Information. You may request that we delete your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. If required by law we will grant a request to delete information, but you should note that in many situations we must keep your personal information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or for another one of our business purposes
- Online Tracking. We do not currently recognize "Do Not Track" instructions.
- Objection to or Restriction of Certain Processing. In certain scenarios and in certain jurisdictions, you can object to our processing of your personal information, or request that we restrict processing of your personal information, by contacting us at the address described below.
- Promotional Emails. You may choose to provide us with your email address for the purpose of allowing us to send materials to you. You can stop receiving promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in e-mails that you receive. If you decide not to receive promotional emails, we will still send you service-related communications.
- Text Messages. To discontinue SMS text messages from Compassion, text STOP to 97646. To learn more about SMS Terms and Conditions visit https://www.compassion.com/sms-terms-and-conditions.htm.
- Revocation of Consent. You may revoke consent to processing (where such processing is based upon consent) by contacting us at the address described below. If you revoke your consent for the processing of personal information, then we may no longer be able to facilitate a child sponsorship for you or provide you with other services.
- Opt-out of Targeted Advertising. You may opt-out of targeted advertising by contacting us at the address listed below. If you are a Colorado resident, you may have an authorized agent submit a request on your behalf by having them contact us at the address described below.
Please note, not all of the rights described above are absolute, and they do not apply in all circumstances. In some cases, we will limit or deny your request if the law permits or requires us to do so, or if we are unable to adequately verify your identity. We will not discriminate against individuals who exercise their privacy rights under applicable law.
Note that, as required by law, we will require you to prove your identity. We may verify your identity by phone call or email. Depending on your request, we will ask for information such as your name, address, phone number, account number and/or billing information. We may also ask you to provide a signed declaration confirming your identity.
If you disagree with our denial of a request, you may appeal our decision by contacting us as indicated in the "Contact Information" section below with the subject line "Appeal."
Back to the top >
How We Protect and Retain Personal Information
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is fully secure. While we use reasonable efforts to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. In the event that we are required by law to inform you of a breach to your personal information we will notify you electronically, in writing, or by telephone, if legally permitted.
Some of our websites permit you to create an account. When you do you will be prompted to create a password. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password, and you are responsible for any access to or use of your account by someone else that has obtained your password, whether or not such access or use has been authorized by you. You should notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account.
Back to the top >
The following additional information relates to our privacy practices:
- Transmission of Information to Other Countries. Your information may be processed in a foreign country where privacy laws are less stringent than the laws in your country. By submitting your personal information to us you agree to the transfer, storage, and processing of your information in a country other than your country of residence, including, but not necessarily limited to, the Unites States. Compassion utilizes Standard Contractual Clauses as an adequacy measure for data transfers from the European Union.
- Third Party Applications/Websites. We have no control over the privacy practices of websites or applications that we do not own. In order to complete certain kinds of NFT transactions you may need to use third-party applications. In doing so you may be required to provide personal data to such third-party applications and in those cases, the privacy policies and terms of the third party will apply to the processing.
Back to the top >
12290 Voyager Parkway
Colorado Springs, CO 80921
If you are not satisfied with our response and are in the European Union or the United Kingdom, you may have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority.
If you have questions or want to exercise your data subject rights, or opt-out of targeted advertising, please contact our Data Protection Officer at [email protected].
Back to the top >
Outside of our programs for children, we do not intentionally collect information about or from children.
We do not intend to collect personal information from children under 18 who are not part of our program. If you are a parent or legal guardian and think your child under 18 has given us personal information, contact us at (800) 336-7676, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. MT or via email. Parents, you can learn more about how to protect children's privacy online here.
Back to the top >
Effective Date: 12/22/2023