Use and Processing of Information
In addition to the purposes and uses described above, we use information in the following ways:
- To identify you when you visit our website.
- To process donations and sponsorship.
- To improve our services and support our mission.
- To conduct analytics.
- To respond to inquiries related to support, employment opportunities, or other requests.
- To send marketing and promotional materials, including information relating to Compassion’s mission and programs.
- In order to update you on your sponsored child and special events.
- To create and steward effective partnerships with churches and volunteers.
- For internal administrative purposes, as well as to manage our relationships.
Although the sections above describe our primary purpose in collecting your information, in many situations we have more than one purpose. As a result, our collection and processing of your information is based in different contexts upon your consent, our need to perform a contract, our obligations under law, and/or Compassion’s legitimate interest.
Back to the top >
Sharing of Information
In addition to the specific situations discussed elsewhere in this policy, we disclose information in the following situations:
- Affiliates. We may share information with Compassion affiliates (e.g., international Compassion entities).
- Other Disclosures with Your Consent. We may ask if you would like us to share your information with other unaffiliated third parties who are not described elsewhere in this policy.
- Other Disclosures without Your Consent. We may disclose information in response to subpoenas, warrants, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process, or to comply with relevant laws. We may also share your information in order to establish or exercise our rights, to defend against a legal claim, to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, or a violation of our policies, or to comply with your request for the shipment of products by or the provision of services by a third party intermediary.
- Public. Some of our websites may provide the opportunity to post comments, or reviews, in a public forum. If you decide to submit information on these pages, that information may be publicly available.
- Service Providers. We share your information with service providers. Among other things service providers help us to administer our website, conduct surveys, provide technical support, conduct analytics, improve our services, and process payments.
Back to the top >
Cookies and Similar Technology
A cookie is a series of data characters that, when programmed into a website, is placed by the web server into the browser's application folder on your computer. Once placed onto your machine, the cookie will allow the website to "recognize" you as a unique individual. Cookies do not collect data from the end user's device.
Cookies are used to determine the success of Compassion's website and marketing campaigns. This allows us to be good stewards with the donations that are given to us to determine our online effectiveness, which also helps keep our expenses low.
Cookies can be removed from your device. Also, depending on what type of web browser and what browser version you are using, you may be able to change the properties on your cookie file so that cookies are not used or saved. Please check with your browser provider for more information on removing cookies.
In addition to cookies, we use other technologies, including pixel tags, to gather information on how visitors interact with our website and to help us efficiently monitor our website and marketing campaigns. These technologies, for example, show us popular pages, conversion rates, click-throughs and other information that can be used to improve our website. We also occasionally share select non-personal information with trusted third parties. Compassion and its third-party vendors use pixel tags to track and analyze non-personally identifiable usage information to compile statistical traffic analysis or usage patterns. Third-party cookies may also be used to inform, optimize and serve Compassion ads on other websites based on your visits to Compassion websites.
Back to the top >
Compassion provides all rights to your information that may be required by law. In any case, Compassion will consider all requests from individuals regarding their data. These requests may include:
- Access to Your Personal Information. You may request access to your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. If required by law, upon request, we will grant you reasonable access to the personal information that we have about you.
- Changes to Your Personal Information. We rely on you to update and correct your personal information. Our website allows you to modify your account profile. You may also contact us at the address described below in order to request that your information by modified. Note that we may keep historical information in our backup files as permitted by law.
- Deletion and Retention of Your Personal Information. Typically, we retain your personal information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this policy, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law. If required by law we will grant a request to delete information, but you should note that in many situations we must keep your personal information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or for another one of our business purposes.
- Online Tracking. We do not currently recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include "Do Not Track" instructions.
- Objection to Certain Processing. In certain scenarios and in certain jurisdictions, you may be able object to our use or disclosure of your personal information by contacting us at the address described below. Residents of the European Union, for example, may be able to object if our processing of your personal information is based on consent.
- Promotional Emails. You may choose to provide us with your email address for the purpose of allowing us to send materials to you. You can stop receiving promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in e-mails that you receive. If you decide not to receive promotional emails, we may still send you service-related communications.
- Text Messages. To discontinue SMS text messages from Compassion, text STOP to 97646.
- Revocation of Consent. If you revoke your consent for the processing of personal information, then we may no longer be able to facilitate a child sponsorship for you or provide you with other services. In some cases, we may limit or deny your request to revoke consent if the law permits or requires us to do so, or if we are unable to adequately verify your identity. You may revoke consent to processing (where such processing is based upon consent) by contacting us at the address described below.
Back to the top >
How We Protect Personal Information
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is fully secure. While we use reasonable efforts to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. In the event that we are required by law to inform you of a breach to your personal information we may notify you electronically, in writing, or by telephone, if legally permitted.
Some of our websites permit you to create an account. When you do you will be prompted to create a password. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password, and you are responsible for any access to or use of your account by someone else that has obtained your password, whether or not such access or use has been authorized by you. You should notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account.
Back to the top >
The following additional information relates to our privacy practices:
- Transmission of Information to Other Countries. Your information may be processed in a foreign country where privacy laws may be less stringent than the laws in your country, including the Unites States.
- Third Party Applications/Websites. We have no control over the privacy practices of websites or applications that we do not own.
Back to the top >
Conditions of Use
Compassion International, Inc. provides these services described to you subject to the conditions contained within this Privacy Statement. If you visit our website you accept these conditions. Please read them carefully. In addition, when you use any current or future Compassion International, Inc. website, service or visit any entity referenced by Compassion International, Inc., in its website, you also will be subject to the guidelines and conditions applicable to any such entity.
All content included on this site, such as text, graphics, logos, photographs, button icons, images, audio clips, digital downloads, data compilations, and software, is the sole and exclusive property of Compassion International, Inc. or its content suppliers and is protected by United States and international copyright laws. The compilation of all content on this site is the exclusive property of Compassion International, Inc. and protected by U.S. and international copyright laws.
Compassion International, Inc.'s trade names, trademarks, trade dress, and service marks, including those marks indicated on our website are the sole and exclusive property of Compassion International, Inc., including, without limitation, designs, logos, page headers, button icons and scripts ("Marks"). Compassion International, Inc.'s Marks and trade dress may not be used in connection in any way not expressly authorized in writing by the Compassion International, Inc. or in any manner that is likely to cause confusion among the public, or in any manner that disparages or discredits Compassion International, Inc. All other trademarks not owned by Compassion International, Inc. that appear on this site are the property of their respective owners.
License and Site Access
Compassion International, Inc. grants you a limited, nonexclusive, nontransferable, and revocable license to access and make personal use of this site and not to download or modify it, or any portion of it, except with express written consent of the Compassion International, Inc. This license does not include any resale or commercial use of this site or its contents; any collection and use of any information, images, content or photographs or any derivative use of this site or its contents; any downloading or copying of information for the benefit of another; or any use of data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools. This site or any portion of this site may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without express written consent of Compassion International, Inc. You may not frame or utilize framing techniques to enclose any Marks, photographs, content or other proprietary information (including images, text, page layout, or form) of Compassion International, Inc.'s website without express written consent. You may not use any meta tags or any other "hidden text" utilizing Compassion International, Inc.'s website name or Marks without the express written consent of Compassion International, Inc. Any unauthorized use terminates the permission or license granted by Compassion International, Inc., to access this site. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY THIS SITE IS PROVIDED BY COMPASSION INTERNATIONAL, INC. ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. COMPASSION INTERNATIONAL, INC. MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE OPERATION OF THIS SITE OR THE INFORMATION, CONTENT OR MATERIALS INCLUDED ON THIS SITE. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THIS SITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. COMPASSION INTERNATIONAL DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THIS SITE, ITS SERVERS, OR E-MAIL SENT FROM THE COMPASSION INTERNATIONAL WEBSITE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. COMPASSION INTERNATIONAL, INC. WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND ARISING FROM THE USE OF THIS SITE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.
Site policies, modification, and severability
Compassion International, Inc., reserves the right to make changes to this site, policies, and these Conditions of Use at any time. If any of these conditions shall be deemed invalid, void, or for any reason unenforceable, that condition shall be deemed severable and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining condition.
Back to the top >
If you have any questions, comments, or complaints concerning our privacy practices or conditions of use please contact us at the appropriate address below. We will attempt to respond to your requests and to provide you with additional privacy-related information.
Data Protection Office
12290 Voyager Parkway
Colorado Springs, CO 80921
If you are not satisfied with our response, and are in the European Union, you may have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority.
Back to the top >
Effective Date: 3/04/2020