You can give through your IRA to help children far beyond what basic child sponsorship provides.
IRS regulations require individuals with qualified retirement accounts to begin taking minimum withdrawals from their account once they turn 72. If you need to take your Required Minimum Distribution and would like to avoid additional taxes, consider gifting your distribution to Compassion*.
We strive to be God-honoring stewards of every dollar you give so that your impact through your giving will help children in the most effective ways possible. From planting churches to drilling wells, from hiring translators to translate letters to providing extra food for a family, your gift will be used to bring hope to children, their families and even their communities.
Giving made easy: Follow these simple steps
- Consider your Gift Designations and how much you’d like to give to one or all of the suggested core ministry needs:
- Where Most Needed — a general, undesignated fund that allows Compassion the most flexibility to use your gift wherever the need is the greatest.
- Unsponsored Children’s Fund — a fund that provides full Compassion program benefits to newly registered children, or to those who have lost their sponsor and are waiting for a new one. It takes about six months, on average, for a child to receive a sponsor, and Compassion will care for roughly 200,000 unsponsored children each month.
- Support and gifts for your sponsored child/children — you can prepay your annual sponsorship and provide things like child gifts and birthday presents for your sponsored child/children.
DOWNLOAD THE IRA INSTRUCTION FORM NOW
- Contact your retirement administrator to notify them you would like to donate all or a portion of your IRA directly to Compassion.
You will need to provide the following to your IRA administrator:
Compassion’s Tax ID: 36-2423707
Attn: SDP-IRA Processing
Compassion International Inc.
12290 Voyager Parkway
Colorado Springs, CO 80921-3668
- Your IRA administrator will disburse your donation directly to Compassion.
- Call us at 855-315-5019, or email us at [email protected], to let us know that your gift is on its way! We are here to help you with all your planned gift options to Compassion.
You can actually give more than the Required Minimum Distribution. In 2016, Congress reinstated the IRA Charitable Rollover (Qualified Charitable Distribution), which allows IRA account owners who are at least 70 ½ years old to give up to $100,000 from their account to a qualified charity in a calendar year.*
*The content herein is not intended as legal or tax advice. Please consult with your professional tax or licensed financial advisor to determine if an IRA is the right gift for you.