Appreciated property can include real estate, stocks, art or other assets. Planning in advance means you’ll help save the lives of many children who may otherwise perish. They will not go to bed hungry and will wake to life with enthusiasm and vigor. Gifting non-cash assets includes giving through real estate or donating stocks while avoiding taxes and receiving a charitable deduction.
Property is a smart investment but selling may expose you to capital gains tax. If you donate property to Compassion, you may eliminate this tax and receive a charitable deduction.
You’ll receive the most benefit from a stock donation if you own the stock for more than a year, and the value has appreciated during your ownership. Your charitable deduction will be for full fair market value of your stock on the day of donation.
Compassion accepts gifts of grain as a donation. The funds received from the sale of grain can be designated anywhere within Compassion. To donate grain:
- Take the grain to your grain elevator. Contact our Gift Planning Team at (855) 315-5019 or firstname.lastname@example.org to provide donation information such as the number of bushels of grain, where to allocate the funds, and the name and phone number of the grain elevator.
- Compassion will call the grain elevator to sell the grain.
- An acknowledgment letter will be issued to the donor once the donation is received.
- A formal tax receipt will be issued the following January after the donation is received.
Compassion accepts art donations of monetary value. Gifting your art helps us continue our mission of releasing children from poverty in Jesus’ name.
Contact the Gift Planning Department at (855) 315-5019 or email@example.com for more information.
Compassion also accept gifts of jewelry that we liquidate to continue funding the children we serve. Prior to the donation, please contact the Gift Planning Department at (855) 315-5019 so we can gather more information about each piece and the expected outcome from the sale of the piece.
For more details, download the PDF on Appreciated Assets and Stocks.
Your Next Steps
- Download information on planned giving through Appreciated Assets and Stocks.
- Assess your current and long-term financial goals with our free personal estate planning tool.
- Contact the Gift Planning Department at (855) 315-5019 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss ways to become a Legacy Donor.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include Compassion in your estate plans, use our legal name and Federal Tax ID.
Legal Name: Compassion International Inc.
Address: 12290 Voyager Parkway, Colorado Springs, CO 80921-3668
Federal Tax ID Number: 36-2423707
The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. Figures cited in examples are for hypothetical purposes only and are subject to change. References to estate and income taxes include federal taxes only. State income/estate taxes or state law may impact your results.