Haiti

Haiti flag

Bonjour / Hello from Haiti

Language: French

Haiti is a land of resiliency and optimism. It is also a nation that faces frequent disasters — including the 2010 earthquake and Hurricane Matthew in 2016, which deeply affected the lives of already vulnerable children in poverty. But at the Compassion center, there is hope.

Haiti Stats

POPULATION: 11,242,856
54.7% Roman Catholic
28.5% Protestant
14.8% Other or None

120,600
CHILDREN SERVED

335
CHURCHES SERVING

51
YEARS SERVING HAITI

A teenage girl reads the Bible to younger girls

A teenage girl reads the Bible to younger girls.

Caption
A group of children in a rural community smile and hold up glasses of clean water

A group of children in a rural community smile and hold up glasses of clean water.

Caption
Two girls lean against a wall and smile

Two girls lean against a wall and smile.

Caption
A group of children engage in the classroom activity at their child development center

A group of children engage in the classroom activity at their child development center.

Caption
A young girl holds her hands together to pray

A young girl holds her hands together to pray.

Caption
A teenage girl sits happily in her classroom

A teenage girl sits happily in her classroom.

Caption
Three teenage boys read together

Three teenage boys read together.

Caption
A group of young women learn vocational skills at their child development center

A group of young women learn vocational skills at their child development center.

Caption
A young girl swings on the playground at her child development center

A young girl swings on the playground at her child development center.

Caption
Loading

COMPASSION IN HAITI

When do children visit the Compassion center?

  • Children ages 3 to 5 go to the center 1 hour every weekday plus 3 hours on Saturdays.
  • Students age 6 and older attend 2 to 4 hours after school each day with an additional 4 hours every Saturday.

OVERCOMING EDUCATIONAL BARRIERS IN HAITI

Issue: In Haiti, only 10% of primary schools are public. The remaining 90% are private — and many people cannot afford to pay the required fees. Inability to pay school tuition and family pressure to start earning income cause many children to drop out before secondary school.

Response: Compassion centers partner with Haitian parents to help cover part of children’s fees to attend secondary school. In addition to tutoring, these centers also provide vocational training activities so older children can explore economically sustainable careers.

Prayer Point: Pray that students will learn to value education, dream of a successful future, and find a career path that lifts them out of poverty.

A young man studying the bible

Beneficiaries get to spend time learning in a safe, educational environment.

Caption

Visit the Compassion blog to learn more about our work in Haiti.

Did You Know?

Conches are one of the most important parts of the underwater ecosystem in Haiti. They are also very popular to eat!

Sponsor a Child in Haiti

Life in Haiti

Haiti Fast Facts

Official Name: Republic of Haiti

Form of Government: Semi-presidential republic

Capital: Port-au-Prince

Population: 11,242,856

Official Languages: French, Creole

Currency: Gourde

Area: 10,714 square miles (27,750 square kilometers)

Compassion has been working in Haiti since 1968. These Haiti facts and statistics provide a good picture of the reality of poverty and how child sponsorship through Compassion is making a difference.

Poverty is a problem in the country of Haiti but with your support, Compassion is working to change this. The Haiti facts tell a difficult story, but Compassion is bringing hope in the midst of the difficulties. Our programs are changing the statistics one child at a time.

Don't let the hopelessness of poverty overwhelm you. You can make a difference to a child in Haiti today!