What is Child Sponsorship?
Child sponsorship is critical. In a world where more than a billion children live on less than U.S. $2 per day, child sponsorship, connecting one child with one sponsor, is the most strategic way to end child poverty.
How Does Child Sponsorship Work?
Through monthly financial support, prayer and letter writing, sponsors invest directly in the lives of children living in extreme poverty.
The children attend church-based child development centers where they receive life-changing opportunities that would otherwise be out of their reach, and which build on, add to and extend their school lessons.
All Compassion-sponsored children have the opportunity to develop their God-given potential and be released from the poverty that has trapped their families for generations.
Child sponsorship offers:
- ongoing Christian training through a local church.
- educational opportunities to defeat illiteracy.
- key life skills training and vocational programs to provide a brighter future.
- health care to prevent and fight disease and sickness.
- supplements to protect against malnutrition.
- recreational activities to development self-confidence and social skills.
- protection from crime, violence and danger.
Compassion consistently receives high ratings for financial accountability and integrity.
Charity Navigator, America's largest charity evaluator, has awarded Compassion its highest rating — four stars — for financial stewardship and transparency.