What is the single most effective resource you can have in your possession to release more children from poverty in Jesus’ name? Child packets. Do you have any with you right now? I know that some of you hesitate to order child packets without a clear opportunity to present child sponsorship in mind. I know it’s hard to “deconsign” child packets sent to you because the due date arrives before a sponsor does. Still, a child whose packet is in your hands has a far greater likelihood of being sponsored than one whose packet hasn’t even been printed out yet. If you don’t have a packet or two with you, order some now.
With Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner, there are numerous opportunities to invite others to join you in your mission to release children from poverty in Jesus’ name:
- Set an extra place-setting at your holiday meals and put a child packet on the plate. Holiday meals bring family and friends together and offer a great opportunity to share your passion for children in need around the world and invite others to join you.
- Keep child packets on the dashboard of your car or in your purse, briefcase, or backpack at all times. The holiday season brings abundant opportunities to connect with people at holiday parties and gatherings. Having child packets with you wherever you go could change the life of a child. Your readiness when God opens an unplanned or unexpected door could be all that it takes to move a person to act on behalf of a child you have with you.
- Ask if you can put together a special holiday display in your church, school, or place of work. People are often looking for ways to do something meaningful during the holidays and a display could garner more attention than at other times of the year.
- Submit an article with a photo of a child you have available to sponsor in your church, work, or school newsletter or your local paper. Share the difference that child sponsorship has made in your life and invite others to contact you if they would like to begin the journey with a child.
- Include your sponsor story in your Christmas letter and invite others to join you.
- Post a picture of the children you have packets for on facebook, twitter, pinterest or other social media or blog sites with an invitation for others to change the life of a child in Jesus’ name.
Get creative in linking the holidays with child sponsorship and share your ideas with us!
- Halloween occurs in conjunction with All Saints Day…an opportunity to honor those who’ve gone before us in the faith by discipling a child in need.
- Thanksgiving is a time when we reflect on all that we have to be grateful for and how God continues to provide for us—we’ve been blessed to be a blessing and child sponsorship is one way people can show their gratitude for having more than enough.
- Christmas is when we celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. He entered our world as a vulnerable child born into a poor family. He exhorts us to love “the least of these.” Child sponsorship is a great way to celebrate the birth of our Savior.
I’m so grateful for your heart for God’s children everywhere. Won’t you bring one or two of them with you wherever you go over these next few months? Order your child packets now.