Did you know that close to 3 billion people live on less than $2 per day? Many people in the United States spend twice that on their morning cup of coffee! Have you ever thought about what it would be like to feed not only yourself, but also your entire family on just $2?
Here's the challenge! Feed your family dinner without spending more than $2.
1. Take $2 in cash from your purse or wallet. Leave the rest of your money, your checkbook and your credit or debit cards at home.
2. As a family, go to your local grocery store. Walk around the store and make a list of what you can get that feeds everyone in your family for $2.
3. Using only the $2, buy food to feed dinner to everyone.
4. As you eat dinner together, discuss the questions below:
Before you went to the store, what was your initial impression of the challenge? Did you think it would be easy or hard to have dinner for $2?
How did you feel as you were walking around the store finding things you could afford? Were there more or less items than you thought there would be?
As you considered what to buy, were you worried about being able to buy enough food to fill you up?
What did it feel like to pay for the food with just $2?
Does the food you bought meet the nutritional needs of your family?
How has the $2 Dinner Challenge changed your perspective on those who live in poverty?
5. Take a photo of your family eating your $2 dinner. (Or for families with smaller children, ask them to draw a picture of the family participating in the $2 Dinner Challenge.)
6. As a family, spend some time praying for those who live in poverty around the world. Ask God to give you a compassionate heart for those in need.
7. Hang the photo or drawing on the refrigerator as a daily reminder to pray for children living in poverty.
8. Share your $2 Dinner Challege experience with us.
Some food ideas:
Spaghetti with only noodles and a can of tomatoes
Rice with just a few vegetables
Bread and butter
One microwave dinner to be shared among all of you
Tortillas and beans