- Peel and pit mangos. Measure exactly 2 cups prepared fruit into 2- or 4-quart pot.
- Grind or crush fruit with potato masher. Stir in lemon juice.
- Place mixture on stove and cook over medium heat, stirring regularly.
- After about 4-5 minutes,* add sugar and butter to pot.
- Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in pectin. Return to full rolling boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with spoon.
- Ladle immediately into storage container.
After it cools, you are ready to eat your mango jam! Try it on toast or with crackers and cream cheese. Store in a covered container and refrigerate. It will last 1-2 weeks.
* At elevations above 1,000 feet, increase cooking time as indicated: 1,001 to 3,000 ft. = 5 min.; 3,001 to 6,000 ft. = 10 min.; 6,001 to 8,000 ft. = 15 min.; 8,001 to 10,000 ft. = 20 min.