Concern for the well-being of children is the cornerstone of our ministry. We do everything within our power to ensure that no harm comes to any child registered in our program and to protect our children from any form of child abuse or exploitation.
The following group trip and custom visit guidelines are meant to protect the children in our child development centers, and also protect you from wrongful allegations.
- In accordance with our Commitment to Child Protection, we require a background check for everyone 18 and older who interacts with any beneficiary of our program.
- All travelers (including minors) must sign a release form which outlines the specific guidelines and general legalities for our group trips and custom visits.
- Please show respect to the Compassion staff, children, students, families and church and student center workers you meet.
- Be attentive to the perception and appearance of the relationships you establish with the children we serve. For everyone’s protection, it is important to avoid even the appearance of inappropriate conduct.
- Be aware of the various cultural sensitivities of the country you're visiting and avoid behavior which could potentially be interpreted as flirtatious, unwelcome or sexual in any manner.
- Do not exchange any personal contact information with a sponsored child, student, student center or church staff member, and do not pursue or respond to communications with a sponsored child or student through Facebook or other social networking sites.
- Do not give cash directly to any children, families, church members, student center workers or Compassion staff. All gifts intended for sponsored children, students, families or the child development center will be handled in accordance with our gift policy.
- Please respect the parents/guardians relationship with their children, and do not interfere with parenting matters that do not impact the health, safety or welfare of a sponsored child.
If you are joining a Sponsor Trip, please note these additional guidelines.
- Our trips include both USA and in-country Compassion staff. These skilled leaders and translators will accompany the group at all times during the visit. You are expected to stay with the group for the duration of the trip.
- You are not allowed to meet with a sponsored child or student unless you are with a Compassion staff member.
- Our trip leaders will provide guidelines for being culturally sensitive in expressing affection to sponsored children, and will prepare you for what is and is not appropriate while interacting with the children. If we deem that you deliberately violate these guidelines and instructions, you may be dismissed from the trip.
If you are participating in a Custom Visit, please note these additional guidelines.
- A certified Compassion representative must accompany you at all times during any visit.
- You may go to a child's home for a meal or a visit, if invited, and a Compassion representative accompanies you.
- You may not stay overnight with children, whether in a staff member's home or elsewhere.
- You may not ask for or accept accommodations from the child development center or with the family of the sponsored child.
- We encourage you to read the complete guidelines governing our Custom Visits process and Financial Policy.