Pray for the Philippines
This month's edition of the E-News was completed just prior to the devastating typhoon that struck the Philippines. Please keep the people of the Philippines and particularly our Compassion staff, volunteers, implementing church partners, students, children, mothers and babies in our ministry in your continued prayers. We are preparing resources for you as an advocate to use to promote awareness of the impact of the typhoon and provide opportunities for people to contribute to Compassion's relief efforts. Watch your inboxes for details and downloadable resources to engage your friends, family, co-workers, social networks and church community. We appreciate all that you have already done.
Save These Dates: ECC Happening in Four Locations in FY2014
Mark your calendar with these four Experience Compassion Conferences being planned the first half of 2014:
- Portland, OR (Feb 7-9)
- Sacramento, CA (March 1)
- Chicago (April 25-27)
- Colorado Springs, CO (June 27-29)
True Confessions of an Advocate Engagement Director
Ever miss out on an opportunity to connect a new sponsor with a child because you simply weren’t totally prepared? Read all about Greg Birgy’s confession…
Compassion Gift Catalog
The 2013-2014 Gift Catalog is available and we recently mailed it to you! Our hope is that the two different catalog sizes will make it easy for you to share the ministry of Compassion in relevant and tangible ways this Christmas season and over the coming year! The full catalog presents 32 gifts while the smaller version offers 10 of the 32 gift options in a brochure format!
Visit the Advocate Gift Catalog Resource page to:
- Order catalogs
- Set up your personalized online wish list to share with friends and fundraise online
- View our video
- Access web banners & Facebook images
To view and shop the catalog visit compassion.com/compassiongifts
You won't want to miss this opportunity! Get equipped with the latest information about your ministry as a Compassion child advocate. Advocate Network staff will host this informative and encouraging session, offered at 7 p.m. Mountain Time on Thursday, Dec. 5, and designed for all advocates. You can register here.
October Webinar Recording
Did you miss the October webinar featuring advocates sharing about their advocacy? No worries -- the recording is available here. Listening to the process and struggle these advocates faced in implementing their advocacy opportunities will provide some ways to make your own ideas happen.
Improvements Made to Event Volunteer Sign Up
Watch this brief video that explains more about recent updates made to compassion.com to improve the experience for Advocates signing up to volunteer at Compassion partnered events.
Learning: Advocate Classes
Our Thanksgiving break from classes is coming up (11/24-30) but November is full of classes otherwise. Sign-up for a class today!!
Doing: Advocacy Coaching
In what ways can you share Compassion with friends and family during the holidays? What a great coaching topic! Our coaches are ready for you. Meet them via our coaching website.
A Priority: Children Still Waiting for Sponsors
Because of a higher than normal percentage of Priority Children, many who have been waiting for more than a year for a sponsor, Compassion is implementing a change, effective immediately, in the process for all child packet orders. The changes include:
- Priority Children will now make up 40% (up from 20%) of your packet order regardless of order size.
- All Priority Children will be boxed together and boxes labeled for easy identification on-site at events.
- If your order is small enough for one box, Priority Children will be bundled together on the top of the box and box labels will clearly state that “This box contains Priority Children.”
- Priority Children should be placed on tables at events first and you should encourage the sponsorship of Priority Children.
- After the event, all unused packets should be returned to the GMC in overnight mail via FedEx Express. All orders will now receive an additional three FedEx Ground return labels to avoid mixing up Ground and Express labels. Also, if it is a manageable number (i.e., approximately 10 packets), you can deconsign the remaining packets through this online link: forms.compassion.com/deconsignment/ There is no need to return the packets if you have deconsigned them.
- This will be the policy for child packets until the number of Priority Children is reduced to a much more stable, manageable number.
Did You Know?
A recent World Bank report found that 721 million fewer people lived in extreme poverty in 2010 – defined as under $1.25 a day – compared to 1981. Roughly 400 million (about 1/3) of those living in extreme poverty are children. It is worth noting that among the extreme poor, 78% live in rural areas, 26% have access to clean water, 20% have access to sanitation and 49% have access to electricity. These numbers highlight the importance of your advocacy in partnering with Compassion’s efforts to find the deepest pockets of poverty and along with our CIV focus helping deliver aid where it is needed.